Friday, August 19, 2016

Little for a Little While

After hustling out the door for our playdate, handling some unexpected issues over the phone for work, making it home for nap, doing more work during nap, and cleaning up the house a bit, we had a coule hours with no plans. 

It had started to sprinkle just as we had loaded up the stroller to head to the park. Brecken's old enough and it's warm enough, that I didn't worry about him with the rain. Plus, he had a little canopy. The boys didn't mind, and neither did I. 

We spent some time on the ball field and at the playground. It was so nice to just relax and enjoy the boys. With chores and work, I have had a hard time with this balance lately. But at this point in the day, I was fully savoring this time with them. 

Logan did an awesome job crushing the ball - he hit almost every pitch. Ry, too. Brecken just watched contently from his stroller.

Ryder - worried I'm going to hit him in the head [again] with a crazy pitch. (Don't worry - we just used wiffle balls)

Then Logan wandered off the ball field and started to jump in puddles. I followed.

Since no one else was around, I let them take off their shoes and jump right in. I know it's messy and these puddles are full of germs, but they're only little for a little while...



Ryder: "Let's jump in and whoever gets the dirtiest wins!"

Logan: "I'm so chilly...but I don't want to go home. I just want to stay here forever. Except for the night time. Because then the bears will come."


I think at a time like this, when I feel like their childhood is fleeting, this is just what I needed. An unscheduled, breaking the normal rules, pure uncontrollable giggles, kind of afternoon. Sure I have a little extra laundry to do, but I also have some pretty great photos to hang on the laundry room walls :)

And of course, I gave them a good scrub as soon as we got home!

No comments: