1. Chileans, at least in this region, are much more conservative of their resources than Americans. The hand soap and shampoo have labels instructing you to turn of the water while using. TP goes in the trash, not in the septic pipes. No plastic bags in the trash cans. No individual trail maps handed out with your tickets. In fact, two of the three resorts we went to didn’t even have trail maps available. You were just supposed to reference the couple posted out on the mountain. Similarly, the mountains did not have a shop where you could buy stickers, tee shirts, etc - excessive stuff you don’t really need. They did have socks, mittens, and a couple other necessities.
These eco toilets were basically like going to the bathroom right into a diaper genie - lol! No water.
2. Shawn is awesome - the way he can drive a stick shift up and down these crazy mountain roads, through the crazy cities with signs we can’t read, and into these teeny parking spots. It never stops impressing me. Same goes for his ability to have a conversation where he only speaks English and the other person speaks entirely Spanish, yet the results turn out favorable - such as when I blew the fuse from my hair straightener and our room smelled like smoke! Or when he chatted up the bar tenders and ended up selecting and putting in the next ski movie in the bar. Also, it amazes me how our banks can decline our cards, we can have trouble with cash, and the check engine light goes in in our rental car all at the same time and he remains completely calm. But if the kids don’t put their shoes in their cubbies at home - beware! I guess we balance each other out in these types of situations :)
3. According to our hotel hosts, 90% of the people that visit this region are from Brazil. And for every 10 that come here, only 2 can actually ski. The others just want their photo taken with the skis. But with Wednesday being a holiday and Valle Nevado offering 2 for 1 deals, it seemed all of the tourists ended up on the mountain. Either standing on the slopes taking pictures or renting a jacket, pants and gear with the attempt to learn to ski / board. This made for a sketchy day on the slopes. Dodging newbies and bystanders and also coping with their lack of skills on the lift...
4. Even when you’re hot, your ski gear is necessary for protection. I’m disappointed I didn’t learn this earlier, but it was so hot that I had my sleeves pushed up in one scenario and gloves off in another. I ended up getting scraped by the snow from a mean Poma lift at one point and catching my hand on a sharp edge in a chair lift on our last run. Nothing more than scratches but when my main objective is to not get hurt out here, this lesson will stick with me.
5. The sunsets here are spectacular. As are the people. I think I elaborated I this previously, but it is a huge take away from the trip.
6. When traveling out of the country, you need to be able to go with the flow. Regardless of how much panning you have done (about a year for Shawn on this trip!) you can’t anticipate everything. Also, while on the tarmac at MSP, we decided to add another city to our itinerary (Valparaíso). Shawn booked the hotel literally as our plane took off into the air. Time will tell if this was a good decision or not...but I think it will be incredible.
7. Getting out of your comfort zone can be good for you. This is a tough one for me, but I always feel grateful for the experiences in the end.
8. Live in and appreciate the moment. At home, there are a ton of distractions and as parents and homeowners there’s always a huge to-do list. One thing we do better when we travel is to unplug and soak in our surroundings. Pay attention. Notice the details. So many things here are hand made. I notice the buildings the most. Things are repaired, not replaced.
9. We usually try to blend in (like in Europe) but the only other blondes I have seen on this trip (maybe 2?!) have been from the US or Canada. Blending in is not easy, but also doesn’t seem necessary.
Lastly, a few photos from our day at Valle Nevado...
No comments:
Post a Comment